What’s Next for Video: Predictions for 2019
In honor of World Television Day, a day to reflect on the global power of TV and recognize its impact on viewers we examine the rising emphasis on all types of video content and what trends we expect to see in the year ahead. Here are our top five predictions for video in 2019:
1. Viewers will spend more than five hours with video each day.
EMarketer predicts that U.S. adults will spend an average of 5 hours and 8 minutes with video content daily in 2019.
2. Video will dominate internet traffic.
Video already claims a large portion of internet traffic, and its share of bandwidth is projected to increase. Cisco estimates that video will account for 80% of total internet traffic in 2019, an increase from 73% in 2016.
3. Audience viewing patterns will become increasingly fragmented.
The Silicon Valley Innovation Center (SVIC) estimates there are currently 3 internet-connected devices for every human on earth. This ratio is projected to reach 3.5 devices per person in 2019 and a staggering 9.2 by 2025. With devices including phones, computers, connected televisions, and more, audiences will have an increasing number of ways to consume content.
4. Seven in 10 viewers will use second screens.
About 68% of Americans interact simultaneously with multiple screens, a sizeable rise from 43% in 2011. EMarketer predicts this habit will continue to rise, estimating 70% of Americans will split their attention between screens in 2019.
5. More advertising budget will go to video ads.
The Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB) recently found that more than half of advertisers plan to increase their video ad spending over the next year. While the IAB results show that mobile and digital video will drive most budget increases, 84% of advertisers report that they will increase or maintain their broadcast and cable TV budgets.
1. eMarketer. “Average Time Spent per Day with TV.” Sept. 2018. Retrieved from: https://forecasts-na2.emarketer.com/584b26021403070290f93a5d/5851918b0626310a2c186b45. eMarketer. “Average Time Spent per Day with Digital Video.” Sept. 2018. Retrieved from: https://forecasts-na2.emarketer.com/584b26021403070290f93a5e/5851918b0626310a2c186b32.
2. Cisco. “The Zettabyte Era: Trends and Analysis.” June 2017. Retrieved from: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/collateral/service-provider/visual-networking-index-vni/vni-hyperconnectivity-wp.pdf.
3. Silicon Valley Innovation Center. “IoT Devices Outnumber Humans on Earth.” 2018. Retrieved from: https://siliconvalley.center/blog/iot-devices/.
4. eMarketer. “Simultaneous Internet and TV Users.” Oct. 2018. Retrieved from: https://forecasts-na2.emarketer.com/584b26021403070290f93a54/5851918b0626310a2c186acd.
5. Interactive Advertising Bureau. “IAB 2018 Video Ad Spend Study.” April 2018. Retrieved from: https://www.iab.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/2018_IAB_NewFronts_Video_Ad_Spend_Report.pdf.